Friday 28 October 2011

Interview with Rhiannon Pillae

Hey I'm back again with another interview and this times its with the author of the upcoming high fantasy saga THE FERRYMAN AND THE FLAME.....give a huge round of applause for Ms. Rhiannon Pillae.



Q. Tell us something about yourself.
I am a big fan of afternoon naps. :) No, seriously, I'm Rhiannon *waves* and I read minds and write books.

Q: It is often said that if you can write a short story you can write anything. How true do you think this is and what have you written that either proves or disproves this POV?
 I wrote a long book before I wrote a short story. And then I met a guy who wrote a short story and was picked up by DAW. They wanted him to expand the story and he told me he was having trouble writing 1000 words a day. Sometimes, when I was writing my first drafts, I'd write up to 12,000 words in a day.

Q: How do you research for a book before you begin the writing process?
 It depends on the book. Sometimes I do it through meditation, other times through travel, other times through reading.

Q: Did you always have in mind to be a writer or it just happened?
I used to write stories when I was twelve, and then I stopped for awhile. I was always trying to write the same story and I'm glad I did.

Q: How would you describe your book in a sentence?
The boy who follows death meets the girl who could cause the apocalypse.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about your book?
It's a tragic love story about two beings that fall in love and are convinced they're meant to be together, that have to face circumstances that threaten to tear them apart.

Q: What were your inspirations behind “Flame of Surrender”?The mythology behind the Violet Flame was what inspired Flame of Surrender. Also, the stories my mentors have told me, a lot of them are from an oral tradition that's not really practiced in a lot of parts of the world.

Q: When you sit down and write do you know how the story will end or do you just let the pen take you? ie Do you develop character profiles and outlines for your novels before writing them or do you let your idea's develop as you write?
I knew the ending before I knew the beginning. I try to develop everything and put it into an outline before writing the book. It's the idea that I can "see" the entire book front to back all at once.

Q: What is your guiltiest pleasure that few know about? Chili Mayo. I don't think anyone knows how much I like it, but now they do!

Now some simple questions and more fun^^
-Your favourite books and author?
 The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

-Your favourite band/singer?
 Tegan and Sara / Adele

-Twitter or Facebook?
 Twitter

-Favourite place in the world?
 My favorite place isn't in this world ;)

-Last movie you watched at the cinemas?
 I actually feel bad, I haven't seen a movie in Months. Last one was probably Green Lantern.

-The last book you’ve read?
 Unveiled by Trisha Wolfe

-Have you ever googled yourself?
 LOL, YES, many times.

-If you wouldn’t be a writer, what you would be?
 A singer

-And last one....print or ebooks?
 Print!

Q: The cover of the book is really awesome. Did you have any inputs in it?
 I did! The photo used was taken by my friend Ted, the girl IN the photo is my friend Sam and the cover design was done by my friend Rachel @Parajunkee

Q: If this book is picked to be turned into a movie (I’m hoping they would) and if you are consulted for casting choices, then who would you cast as Kaliel and Krishani?
I'm totally hoping they make a movie of this book! I would LOVE Chloe Morentz as Kaliel and Dylan Minette as Krishani. I'd also love Evanna Lynch as Shimma and Sean Connery as Istar :P

Lastly;

Q: What advice would you like to give budding authors or those who want to start writing?
This question is always so difficult to answer, but I would write a book that means nothing to you first, and save all the awesome ideas for another book. Once you understand your stamina, voice style, and cliches, you can then write that really great book.


    About the Book


  Flame of SurrenderThe boy who follows death meets the girl who could cause the apocalypse.

Krishani thinks he’s doomed until he meets Kaliel, the one girl on the island of Avristar who isn’t afraid of him. She’s unlike the other girls, she swims with merfolk, talks to trees and blooms flowers with her touch. What he doesn’t know is that she’s a flame, one of nine individually hand crafted weapons, hidden in the body of a seemingly harmless girl.

Nobody has fallen in love with a flame until now. She becomes Krishani’s refuge from the dreams of death and the weather abilities he can’t control. Striking down thousand year old trees with lightning isn’t something he tries to do, it just happens. When the Ferryman dies, Krishani knows that he’s the next and that a lifetime of following death is his destiny.

And Kaliel can’t come with him. The Valtanyana are hunting the flames, the safest place for her is Avristar. Krishani can’t bear to leave her, and one innocent mistake grants the Valtanyana access to their mystical island. They’re coming for Kaliel, and they won’t stop until every last living creature on Avristar is dead. She has to choose, hide, face them, or awaken the flame and potentially destroy herself.



READ THE REVIEW OF THE BOOK HERE

1 comments:

  1. I get more excited to get my hands on this book the more I see about it! It sounds so interesting. :)

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete

 

Le' Grande Codex Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design