Sunday 3 July 2011

Interview with Cameo Renae

Here on the interview for the Codex we have with us Miss Cameo Renae the author of the book In My Dreams. Please give a round of applause.


              Q: Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

I've lived in Maui, Hawaii for most of my life. I work in the wedding industry, but also book reservations for horseback tours into the Haleakala Crater (Dormant Volcano). It's pretty awesome... almost like being on another planet when you're going down into it.
I am happily married, and my husband and I have two wonderful teenagers. We did start our family early, which is why I am still "thirty-something".
Now that the kids have grown, I try and squeeze some writing time, at least every day.

Q: So it is often said that if you can write a short story you can write anything. How true do you think this is and what have you written that either proves or disproves this POV?

I'm not sure if that applies to everyone. Some people have a knack for writing shorts, but can't write a full length novel. I actually started out writing short stories on a site called FanStory.com. It is a place where writers read and review other writer's work. I've had so much positive
feedback from the stories I'd written, that it gave me a boost, and I thought I'd have a shot at writing a novel.

Q: When and How did you realize that you wanted to be a writer? 

In third grade, I had a teacher who would buy the cutest stuffed animals, and bring one out a week. We'd have to write a story about the "featured" animal, and the kid that had the best story... would win the animal. I actually won one of them, and really enjoyed writing the stories. In the eighth grade, we had a writing assignment, about what it would have been like to be with Christopher Columbus, sailing to the new world and finding land. The requirement was only 2 pages, but I ended up writing like 8! I got way too into it... But, the teacher ended up asking me if he could use my story as an example for the high-schoolers. Wow! I was proud. I think that's when it all started.

Q: Did you always had in mind to be a writer or it just happened?

It has always been in me, just on the back burner. I've always loved to read, but never really had the chance to write until I was in my early thirties. Now... It's finally become a reality. :)

Q: Try to describe your book in one sentence.

A thrilling, emotional, love story between two star-crossed lovers, willing to risk everything for their love.

Q: What is the best part of writing for you?

The whole process. I get excited when I actually find time to sit and write. It relaxes me, and takes me into a whole different world. I love getting into my characters heads, and sharing their emotions, and wondering where the journey will take us.

Q: How would you "sell" your book in 20 words or less? 


A thrilling, emotional, love story between two star-crossed lovers, willing to risk everything for their love. (Same answer as above :))

Q: When you sit down and write do you know how the story will end or do you just let the pen take you? ie Do you develop character profiles and outlines for your novels before writing them or do you let your idea's develop as you write? 

I know I should've had had a plan, but, In My Dreams, didn't. This book actually came to life as I wrote. When I started, Lizzy and Michael were my only characters.
I had the main plot, but that was it. Everything else came to me during the process. I had no clue that the ending would turn out the way it did, but I'm very
happy with it.

Q: So 'Lizzy' and 'Michael' and the remaining characters of the book, how did they come about? Did you make them based upon anybody in real life or were they created out of imagination?

They were all created out of my imagination...

Q: How similar to your principle protagonist are you?

I'd say somewhat similar, because I did put my emotions into her character, but I definitely didn't go through what she did as a child. My parents are still happily married after all these years, and they do live in Alaska. :)

Q: The book has a very beautiful and eye-catching cover! Did you have any input in it?

Actually...yes. I purchased the rights to this photo and put together the cover myself.

Q: What's next in line for you, are you working on a new book now? 

I am! And I am super excited about this next book. It is book one in a trilogy. It is a YA Paranormal romance, but it does have a lot of action! :)
My daughter (who is 17) read the first seven chapters and she loved it. :) Let's hope I can keep it up!

Q: Now some simple questions and more fun^^


-Your favorite books and author?
My favorite books would have to be the Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis. In grade-school, those were my absolute favorite. My mom got me the set
for Christmas, and I read them over and over.

-Your favorite band/singer?
I love Maroon 5 as a band, but I'd have to to say Beyonce as a singer. She rocks!

-Twitter or Facebook?
I'm not really into either, because of the lack of time that I have... but if I had to choose,
I'd probably say Facebook.


-Favorite place in the world?I live in Hawaii, and have lived here most of my life, but I don't know if it is my favorite place in the world. I've seen huge changes throughout the years:
tons more traffic, nature being plowed for building structures... I realize that expansion is bound to happen, but you can only do so much on an island.
Okay... Okay... Back to the question!
I'd have to say my favorite place is probably on a secluded beach, with a picnic lunch, and my hubby! :)


-Last movie you watched at the cinemas?
It's been a while since I've been to the movies. With MOD, we can watch movies in HD, in the comfort of home, with pause... and rewind (for bathroom breaks)
for only $5.99! (I think I should get a commission for that awesome sales pitch! :) My husband bought me a 50" plasma for Mother's Day a few years back, although
he usually controls the remote... What's up with that? :)
I think the last movie I saw was the Lord of the Rings. hahaha - I know... that is a super looooong time ago!


-The last book you’ve read?
Jenny Pox, by JL Bryan. That was an interesting read, but not suitable for anyone under 15. ;) (Graphic sex scenes)

-Do you google yourself?
I actually did google myself recently, just to see what was out there about me. I also received an email about the cautions of book pirating.
In it... it said to google your books to make sure that no one is trying to pirate them. Scary! :)


-If you wouldn’t be a writer, what you would be?
I'd love to become a chef. I love to cook! Whenever I do, I flip on the Food Network and cook away. :)

-And last one....print or ebooks?
I love the smell of a new book; walking into a bookstore, gawking at beautiful covers, thumbing through pages.
BUT... my family bought me a Kindle this past Christmas, and I absolutely LOVE it, too. It's white, with a cool cover and light attached.
I stick it in my purse and take it with me, and download a new book whenever I finished one. :) So... I guess I'm still stuck in between
the two.

Q: What advice would you like to give budding authors or those who want to start writing?

If writing is what you love to do... don't stop. Keep writing. There are tons of sites out there with tips and tools to help budding authors get their start. I've stayed up late, many nights, reading... reading... reading... on the best ways to get your work out. Seek and ye shall find! :) Good Luck and Happy Writing!


   
    

             
About her book :-

                             It was happening again. The dreams. The nightmares. It was something seventeen year-old Elizabeth "Lizzy" Hayes thought she'd outgrown; dreams that would come true; detailed premonitions of how people would die. This time she dreams about her boyfriend, Michael Young, and soon discovers that he's been found... dead. Michael hasn't crossed over because he was murdered, and now his murderer is coming for Lizzy. His spirit won't rest until she is safe, and as a newbie spirit, the easiest way for him to make contact is through Lizzy's dreams. When she dreams, it's as if he hasn't died. Lizzy must learn to pull on her inner strength to survive horrifying events. Meanwhile, in the spirit world, Michael learns everything he can about his supernatural gifts to help. But will it be enough to save her?


 Read here for my review of the book
 Visit Cameo on her website here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Le' Grande Codex Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design